BeReal for Windows app, a new photo-sharing application minus the glitz and glam, is gaining attention, mainly among young adults and Gen Z. In contrast to traditional social media, this app gives users an unfiltered look into each other’s lives. Every day, you post one, and only one, photo of what you are doing in real-time.
What is the BeReal PC app?
Founded in 2020 by French entrepreneur Alexis Barreyat, BeReal for PC app was made in response to the current social media landscape. It’s not like Instagram, where users can curate their feeds and edit their images. BeReal doesn’t allow you to curate. There are no filters. It simply gives users a random two-minute window each day to post one photo.
When you post, the app uses both your front and rear-facing camera, giving your friends a full picture of what you’re doing at the moment — not unlike the now-defunct Frontback app. With BeReal, there is no way to lie about where you are or what you’re doing. You can’t project a picture-perfect image.
Instagram’s shift towards monetization and the accompanying changes to its algorithm have left its users wanting a feed filled with photos of their friends, rather than one riddled with ads, paid influencer content, and recommended posts. To combat inauthenticity on the app, there’s been a move to “make Instagram casual” by posting photo dumps, or slice-of-life pics.
But posting casually doesn’t solve the problem either. Some say “casual Instagram” is an even greater performance. Is anything really candid on Instagram? Rather than posing for a cute photo at a party, you have to pretend like you’re not posing for one at all to make your entire life fit a “vibe” or anesthetic.
How does BeReal work?
- The app sends users a notification at a random time during the day. Once you’ve received that notification, you have a 2-minute window to post a photo. Photos disappear from BeReal after 24 hours.
- Who can see your pictures? BeReal shows your picture to your friends who have submitted their own BeReals by default. You can also choose to share your picture PUBLICLY, but only those who have also shared a BeReal picture during that day’s picture window will see it.
- What happens if you miss the 2-minute window on BeReal? Nothing. No streaks. No follower counts. You just miss seeing your friends’ BeReals from that 2-minute window.
- Can you edit your BeReal picture? NOPE. This is something that new users love. No filters! But you can delete it if you don’t like it.
- Can you post outside the 2-minute window? Yes! But BeReal will tell your friends in the push notification that you were late. Shame!
- How do you add friends on BeReal? You can search the Discover tab for usernames, or add your contacts from your phone.
Get Started With BeReal
Since some of the application’s features are difficult to understand, we have included a tutorial to explain how to use it.
1. Create an Account
BeReal is available for both Android and iOS users. To get started, download the application from your respective application store. Enter your phone number, full name, birthday, and username to create an account.
You will receive a confirmation code on the phone number you added. Enter the code to proceed.
2. Find Friends
Once you log in, the app will prompt you to access your contacts and add friends from your contact list. If your friends do not use the app, you can click on Don’t Allow to prevent the app from accessing your contacts.
3. Take and Post a Picture
The application asks you to take a picture right after you create an account. It will send you a notification to take an image. Click on the notification and take two pictures (from the back and front camera) within 2 minutes.
Then, add a caption and select if you want to only show it to your friends or everyone. Click on Send to post it. All the pictures you take will be visible in the Memories section, which you can access by clicking on the user icon in the top-right corner of the homepage.
It is also important to note that while it may seem like it, this application does not work like Snapchat. This means that there is no streak to lose and no score to improve. If you do not post a picture a day, you will just not be able to look at the BeReal of your friends.
4. Delete Your BeReal
Not satisfied with the image you posted? You can delete it. However, BeReal only allows you to delete one picture a day. Click on the picture and select Delete my BeReal. In the next window, choose why you want to delete your BeReal and hit Delete.
5. See the Location of Your Friends
Finally, we have a Snapchat-like map, which allows you to see where your friends are in the world. However, this feature is optional, so unless you give the application permission to access your location, your friends will not be able to locate you.
Showcase Your Unedited Life With BeReal
As BeReal puts it, it’s social media that is actually social. In a nutshell, it allows you to take a break from the applications like Instagram, where even the candid photo dumps are perfectly curated.
Our personal experience with BeReal has been surprisingly great so far. Previously, apps like MySpace have had their moment to shine, but they’ve lost their luster after a while, so we are excited to see what the future holds for BeReal.
Once per day, BeReal notifies all users that a two-minute window to post a photo is open, and asks users to share an image from whatever they are doing at that moment. The given window varies from day to today. If a user posts their daily image later than the two-minute window, other users are notified of the fact. Users may not post more than one photo per day. Because of its daily cycle of engagement, it has been compared to Wordle, which gained popularity earlier in 2022.
BeReal has been described as designed to compete with Instagram, while simultaneously de-emphasizing social media addiction and overuse. The app does not allow any photo filters or other editing and has no advertising or follower counts
How to Install the BeReal app on Windows and Mac
- You will need an Android emulator on your PC, I will recommend the BlueStacks emulator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the emulator.
- Log in using your Google ID, if you do not have one you should make it.
- Open the PlayStore app from the home screen of the emulator.
- Search for the BeReal app and click on the download button to start the installation process.
You can also use the BeReal app on your smartphone as well.