Your Shift Key Not Working on Windows? today I’m going to show you guys how to resolve if your shift the key is not working properly on your Windows 11 computer this should hopefully, be a pretty straightforward process and without further ado let’s go ahead and jump right into it
Why the Shift Key does not work?
These are the different ways to get rid of the Shift key not working issue on Windows 11/10:
- Physically clean the key and keyboard
- Disable Sticky Keys.
- Update, Reinstall, or Rollback Keyboard driver.
- Test the keyboard on another system.
- Check your connections
- Run the Hardware troubleshooter
- Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State.
in this article, we are going to discuss all of the methods that one can take in order to solve the “Shift key not working” issue.
Disable Sticky Keys
Press WINKEY + I combo to launch the Windows Settings App. Now navigate to Accessibility> Keyboard.
Under the section of Sticky Keys, make sure that the option for Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts is set to be toggled off.
In Windows 11, you will see these settings here:
Windows 11 Settings > Accessibility > keyboard > Sticky keys.
Make sure language is correct in settings
- Press Windows key + I to open settings.
- Click on Time & Language
- Click on Language from the left menu.
- Make sure, the language is correct. If it is not correct, just click on the language from the options given below and click on up arrow key to put it at the top.
- If your correct language is not present in the list, click on add a preferred language to add your desired language.
Update Keyboard Drivers
- Click on windows search and type in Device manager and open device manager settings.
- Now in device manager -> Expand Keyboard
- In here -> you need to right-click on the keyboard drivers installed here (standard ps/2 keyboard) and click on update drivers.
- Select Browse my computer for drivers and select let me pick from a list available option and click continue/
- Now, select compatible drivers here and click next.
- Your keyboards drivers will be installed successfully and once installed close open windows.
That’s it, once keyboard drivers are installed successfully with updated drivers then you need to restart your computer and once restarted (reboots) then go ahead and check with shift key not working and you will not face any issue and shift key will start working normally as expected.
Troubleshoot your Keyboard
One of the best ways to fix any problem in Windows is just to use the built-in troubleshooting mechanism. This is a fairly easy process and it will fix any software error that your computer may have. Therefore, in this section, we are going to use the keyboard troubleshooting mechanism to fix the Shift Key not working problem.
To do that, you need to follow the prescribed steps:-
- Launch the Control by either searching it out of the start menu or by RUN(Win + R), type “control” and then hit enter.
- Now from the appeared screen select the Troubleshooting option.
- Click on the Hardware & Sound button from the appeared window.
- On the next screen, under the Windows section click on the Keyboard option to trigger the keyboard troubleshooter.
- From the appeared screen, click on Next to continue the procedure.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the troubleshooting process.
After this, you need to restart your computer and hopefully, the “Shift Key not working” issue is fixed.
For Windows 11 users you can troubleshoot following the steps below:
- Press the Windows+I button.
- In settings got to system and toggle down to troubleshoot option, click on it.
- Click on other troubleshooters
- Under that you will find keyboard and click on that to run the trouble shooter.