Download the Microsoft Authenticator app on your PC. Use Microsoft Authenticator for easy, secure sign-ins for all your online accounts using multi-factor authentication, passwordless, or password autofill.
What is the Microsoft Authenticator PC app?
roducts that utilize two-factor authentication. It offers several useful features to make Microsoft apps and additional compatible sites and applications incredibly easy, including:
- Password-free login to Microsoft products and sites.
- Time-based, single-use passcodes for sites using two-factor authentication.
- Account management for multiple sites or apps simultaneously.
Once you’ve downloaded the Microsoft Authenticator for Windows app on your smartphone, or PC (it’s available on both Android and iOS devices), you can begin by signing in with your Microsoft account or scan a QR code from an external application, such as Google or Facebook, to get started.
Microsoft Authenticator app can also autofill passwords for you. Sign-in on the Passwords tab inside the Authenticator app with your personal Microsoft account to start syncing passwords, including the passwords saved in Microsoft Edge.
You also have additional account management options for your Microsoft personal, work or school accounts.
What Is Two-Factor Authentication?
As the name implies, it’s simply using more than just a password to get into your online account or app—adding another factor in addition to that password. Experts classify authentication factors in three groups: something you know (a password, for example), something you have (a physical object), and something you are (a fingerprint or other biometric trait). When you use one of the authenticator apps included here, you bolster the password you know with the token, smartphone, or smartwatch that you have.
How does multi-factor authentication play a role in preventing intruders from stealing your data?
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) or two-factor authentication (2FA) provides an additional layer of security to avoid phishing. Passwords can be forgotten or compromised and MFA or 2FA helps access accounts more securely making it harder for other people to break in.
There are numerous factors of multi-factor authentication:
- What the user knows: This includes security questions or PINs, wherein the user is the only one who knows the answer.
- What the user has: This includes mobile phones where it can give codes or a one-time password or even smart cards.
- What the user is: This includes a part of the human body such as fingerprints or facial recognition.
The combination of two or all these types creates the multi-factor authentication method, and this is where Microsoft, Google, or any other authenticator app comes into play.
|Size||Varies with device|
How to Install the Microsoft Authenticator app on Windows and Mac
- You will need to install the BlueStacks emulator on your PC.
- Complete the installation of the emulator by following the on-screen instructions.
- Open the PlayStore app from the home screen of the emulator.
- Log in using your Google ID to access the PlayStore app features.
- Search for the Microsoft Authenticator app and click on the install button.
You can also use the Microsoft Authenticator app on your smartphone as well.
Is the Microsoft authenticator for PC app safe?
This means that your passwords inside the Authenticator app are protected even if someone has your Microsoft account password. Autofill data is protected with biometrics and passcode: Before you can autofill a password on an app or site, Authenticator requires biometric or device passcode.
What does the Microsoft authenticator PC app do?
With this free app, you can sign in to your personal Microsoft account without one. For security, you’ll use a fingerprint, face recognition, or a PIN. The Microsoft Authenticator for Windows app is available for Android and iOS.